Tab 1: Overview: The Current Global Environment
Multinational companies must always be aware of significant trends and events that can impact their business. This section will provide insight into the student’s ability to identify global issues and significant current events that may impact a company’s financial profitability. Further this section will provide insight into the evaluation strategy utilized by the student to develop his/her case study analysis.
Tab 2: Major Country Research
This section will demonstrate significant independent research by the student of different countries represented in the case study. Students will prepare an extensive analysis of the economic events, trends, data and forecasts for each of the case study countries to analyze relative risks to the foreign exchange rates of the trading of different currencies. Current Major Country research (for each country listed in case assignment –in cases that specify a large region, selected major countries should be used ) should include:
· Executive summary of historical data of the country’s Gross Domestic Product, Financial Indicators, Prices, Employment, Fiscal Accounts, Balance of Payments Accounts, Foreign Debt, Demographics
Tools to Help : International Monetary Fund website - Index by Country- choose Country
· Analysis of the country’s (1) institutions (2) key political figures, (3) the stability of the government and prospects of the government and oppositions, (4) risks posed by external relations, (5) economic strategy, and (main trade/trading partners
Tools to Help :Business Source Complete - Click Country Profiles on the right side of the page and search by report or country ( tabs at top)
· An assessment of the country’s business environment relative to the practical issues of labor, labor relations, corruption, infrastructure, ethnic conflict and cross-border warfare.
· Analyze current developments and link to economic consequences
Historical Analysis of Foreign Currency Exchange Rates
· This section contains an analysis of the history of the exchange rates of the currencies for the past 24 months (first/end of month only). Students will present a summary chart of the history as an appendix. Additionally students will write an analysis/explanation of significant currency fluctuations/ trends during the last 24-month period. Analysis must be support with economic, political or other data.
(note the middle box entitled "Historical Exchange Rates -- Electronic Sources" and the links without the icon that are freely available)
Tab 3 : Analysis and Forecast of Foreign Currency Exchange Rates
Based on the student’s analysis, this section presents a forecast of what the student anticipates will happen to these exchange rates in the future. In addition, if any significant political or economic events that threaten the case study company may warrant additional recommendations for alternative countries/sources and alternative marketing plans. These recommendations are to be grounded in the research supporting more favorable interest rates/trade relations/ consumer demand.
Recommendations for Foreign Currency Purchase for current shipments plus recommendations for future purchases
· In this section, students present a recommendation on which market they intend to purchase the currency needed to complete the current import business transaction (Forward or Spot Market). If the student selects the forward market, he/she must clearly state if the foreign currency is to be purchasing a futures contract or an option and why. A profit-loss cost based analysis is to be included.
Tab 4: References
A list of all references using appropriate MLA formatting
Tab 5: Appendices
Statistical data tables for individual countries
More Financial Links -
International Monetary Fund http://www.imf.org
United Nations http://www.unsystem.org
The World Bank Group http://www.worldbank.org/
Bank for International Settlements http://www.bis.org
Federal Reserve Bank of New York http://www.ny.frb.org/pihome/mkrates
Philadelphia Stock Exchange www.phlx.com/
INO Global Markets www.ino.com/
Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD) www.oecd.org/
International Statistics ( Directory of websites that show statistics about countries) http://www.lib.umd.edu/guides
CIA World Factbook